Logo

Bookmark and Share


102417_YKMV_A3.pdf



shop online at www.missourivalleyshopper.com October 24, 2017 • Page 3 Six More State Properties Listed On National Register Of Historic Places PIERRE, S.D. – Six more South Dakota properties were recently added to the National Register of Historic Places, according to the South Dakota State Historical Society. The listed properties are the Arthur and Ellen Colgan House in Edgemont, the Happy Times Carousel in Faulkton, the First Presbyterian Church in Flandreau, the American Legion Community Hall in Fort Pierre, the McWhorter House in Miller and the Stadum-Green House in Sioux Falls. The National Register is the official federal list of properties identified as important in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering and culture. The State Historic Preservation Office of the State Historical Society works in conjunction with the National Park Service, which oversees the National Register program, to list the properties. "South Dakota's history is rich in American Indian culture, pioneer life and change," said Jay D. Vogt, state historic preservation officer and director of the State Historical Society at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre. "Properties listed on the National Register are important for their role in South Dakota's culture, heritage and history. And when properties get listed, it shows that their owners take pride in their role in preserving that culture, heritage and history." Buildings, sites, structures and objects at least 50 years old possessing historical significance may qualify for the National Register, according to Vogt. Properties must also maintain their historic location, design, materials and association. Listing on the National Register does not place any limitations on private property owners by the federal government. Following is more information about these newly listed properties. Colgan House Built around 1900, the Arthur and Ellen Colgan House is located at 407 3rd St. in Edgemont. It is listed in the National Register for its architectural significance as a transitional form occurring between the Queen Anne and Colonial Revival styles. Distinguishing exterior features of the house include a wraparound porch with pedimented entries, cottage windows with leaded glass in a diamond and oval design and a three-sided bay window with decorative sawtooth woodwork. Happy Times Carousel The Happy Times Carousel, aka the C.W. Parker Carousel No. 825, in Faulkton sits in its original location at the corner of 9th Ave. and Court St. Built between 1950 and 1955, it was purchased at an auction by Robert Ketterling in 1981. He refurbished the carousel and began operating it for the local children. In 1991, the city of Faulkton purchased it. Volunteers still operate it seasonally several days a week. In addition to being listed on the National Register for Entertainment/ Recreation, it is also listed for Art and Engineering. Though it does not have the hand-carved horses of earlier carousels, its aluminum horses, center wood panels with motifs of dancing figures, stars, seahorses or dragons, organ pipes and wood rounding board panels with circle and undulating designs convey a sense of public art. The fact that the carousel is still used as designed originally, as opposed to being collected and displayed, increases its societal value as community art. First Presbyterian Church Flandreau’s First Presbyterian Church, built in 1873, is the oldest, continually used church in South Dakota. Located at 22712 SD Hwy. 13, the church and connected cemetery are listed in the National Register in two areas. The first is under Religious Properties. This is because of the church’s significant association with the earliest settlement of the Flandreau homestead colony by the Mdewakanton Dakota American Indians and with the leadership of Rev. John Eastman for his involvement in the religious, social and political life of the community. It is also listed for Graves because of the burial of the repatriated remains of Taoyateduta/Little Crow. Taoyateduta was a significant leader of the Mdewakanton Dakota during the 1862 U.S.-Dakota Conflict. He was killed in Minnesota in 1863 but his remains were not returned to his descendants until 1971. American Legion The American Legion Community Hall in Fort Pierre was built in 1933 when the Fort Pierre Commercial Club and the American Legion post joined forces with local businesses and civic organizations to raise money for the building located at 115 Deadwood Street. From 1933 into the early 1950s, concerts, plays, dances, card parties, game nights, 4-H shows, Christmas parties and other community activities were common occurrences. It continued to be used for a number of public activities in the 1950s and 1960s, but its front offices were also leased to local businesses. In 1968, the Historical Society of Old Stanley County converted the building into a museum. Today, the Verendrye Museum continues to occupy the building. The hall is listed on the National Register for Entertainment/Recreation, Social History and Architecture. It is a good example of a one-part commercial block with Mission influences in a small-town South Dakota setting. It is the only known Mission-influenced building in Fort Pierre. Centered toward the top of the parapet is a stone Legion emblem of a five-point star surrounded by a wreath. McWhorter House After medical school in 1904, Dr. Port McWhorter returned to his hometown of Miller and joined the local medical practice of Dr. W.H. Lane. He helped build the foundation of what would become one of Miller’s most enduring medical practices. In 1906 McWhorter married a local woman, Helen Waters. That same year they had a Queen Anne-style house built for them at 426 N. Broadway. The first floor of the house was McWhorter’s clinic. McWhorter served the town for 22 years. He and Helen continued to own their house in Miller after moving to California in 1926. In 1938, they donated it to the Miller Independent School District. It was used to board rural children attending school. The house served other needs of the district for many years before being converted into a museum. The house is listed in the National Register for Health/ Medicine and Education and also for Architecture. Stadum-Green House Located at 2101 S. Pendar Lane in Sioux Falls, the Stadum-Green House was built in 1938. Listed on the National Register for Architecture, it is representative of the American Small House type. The house has retained a high integrity of setting, location, material, design, workmanship, feeling and association. It accurately conveys the architectural history of residential construction in Sioux Falls in the 1930s. For more information on the National Register or other historic preservation programs, contact the State Historic Preservation Office at the Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Drive, Pierre, SD 57501-2217; telephone 605-773-3458 or website history.sd.gov/Preservation (click on National Register of Historic Places in the right column). YOUR VOICE WILL BE HEARD MV Shopper MV Shopper M I S S O U R I VA L L E Y In Print and Online! • 665-5884 M I S S O U R I VA L L E Y Call now for last minute roof projeCts Before the snow flies! 605-857-1472 Check Out Our Collectibles Corner RiveRcity treasures & Pawn 301 E. 3rd Street, Yankton, SD • 665-3588 Mark’s Machinery GREAT TRACTOR DEALS! 407 Ruth Street, Yankton, SD - MAGNUMS - PUMAS - MAXXUMS Great Low Payment Leases on Maxxum and Puma Now! * DOT Lease Returns * AXIAL FLOW COMBINES AND HEADS • NO OBLIGATION Inspection & Estimate • Insurance Preferred Contrator • Licensed / Bonded / Insured Always LOW Liquor Discounts! Busch & Busch Light 605-665-7865 109 W. 3rd St. in Downtown Yankton All USED Combines 16.55 $ YANKTON WORKS Want your REAL-TIME MESSAGE on the most visited media website in the Yankton area? Join our ‘Friends2Follow’ program! Contact your Yankton Media Representative today! 605-665-7811 USED EQUIPMENT 30pks Participating Businesses Are… J&H Cleaning Services IN STOCK - 36 Month INTEREST WAIVER - OR 1.9% Financing - 5 Years GREAT SELECTION! GREAT FINANCING! USED EQUIPMENT CASE IH PUMA 130 – MFD – CUT – LOADER MAGNUM MX275 – LUX CAB – 50” DUALS MAGNUM MX190 – 46” DUALS – 3/PTO MAGNUM MX 245 – MFD – 46” DUALS – 2006 ARTS WAY STALK SHREDDERS – 6RN & 8RN PARKER 510 – 500 BU CART – TARP – SCALE EZ-TRAIL 510 – 500 BU CART – CLEAN PARKER 1048 – 1,000 BU CART – 2012 – SHARP BRENDT 672 – 650 BU CART – CORNER AUGER UNVERFERTH 9200 – 1,000 BU CART KILLBROS 490 – 500 BU CART BRENDT 572 – 500 BU CART – W/TARP – GREEN J&M 500 BU CART – CORNER AUGER PARKER 6500 – 650 BU CART FETERL 8X60 AUGER – W/HOPPER HARVEST INTL 13X62 AUGER W/HOPPER WESTFIELD 10X71 AUGER W/HOPPER WESTFIELD 13X71 AUGER W/HOPPER HARVEST INTL 10X84 AUGER W/HOPPER HARVEST INTL 10X72 AUGER W/HOPPER – LOTS MORE USED AUGERS AND CARTS – GRAIN HANDLING EQUIP . * GRAIN AUGERS * GRAIN CARTS * HEADER CARTS IN STOCK NEW AND USED - ALL SIZES! CALL US! FOR YOUR HARVEST PARTS AND SERVICE NEEDS - COMBINE - BEAN HEAD - CORN HEAD PARTS SERVICE - SERVICE - SERVICE * EXPERIENCED TRAINED TECHNICIANS * COMPETITIVE RATES - PICKUP AND DELIVERY * INSPECTION PROGRAM - TRACTORS & COMBINES * 120 DAYS - NO INTEREST - JOBS $750 UP 3211 E. Hwy. 50 Yankton, SD 605-665-4540 800-526-8095 Locally Owned Since 1972 Two Locations to Serve You 745 E. Hwy 46 Wagner, SD 605-384-3681 800-693-1990
Shopper Issues
October 15, 2019
October 15, 2019
Published On
10-15-2019

October 8, 2019
October 8, 2019
Published On
10-08-2019

October 1, 2019
October 1, 2019
Published On
10-01-2019

September 24, 2019
September 24, 2019
Published On
09-24-2019

Missouri Valley Shopper
319 Walnut
Yankton, SD 57078
Phone: (605) 665-5884, Fax: (605) 665-0288

©Copyright 2004-2016 Missouri Valley Shopper